Skills to do Well in Accounting Jobs in Hong Kong
Accounting Jobs are very popular in Hong Kong, especially due the recent changes in the international accounting standards used in the country. Most international companies and accountancy firms are having their offices in Honk Kong, making accounting jobs one of the most of lucrative career options for finance professionals. From multinational companies to small and medium sized businesses to local conglomerates, there is always a demand for accountant graduates and certified practitioners in Hong Kong.
We discuss below the top 3 accounting jobs in Hong Kong:
The job profile of an analyst accounting is to handle the accounting aspects for the business, monitor daily activities, prepare and validate accounts details and input these into the accounting system. Maintaining and managing general ledger, auxiliary books, assisting accounting manager in month end closing, preparation of monthly management accounts and statements are part of this accounting job profile. A candidate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting is eligible for this post. However, larger companies prefer candidates with few years of accounting and analytical experience.
This is one of the most popular accounting jobs in Hong Kong. The candidate needs to prepare and follow up monthly accounts reconciliations, ensure month end is on time and accurate, review and prepare monthly reporting to the head. All accounting jobs need to be done ensuring that company’s financial policy and internal control requirements are all followed strictly. Sometimes, the candidate also has to do ad-hoc duties assigned by the Finance Controller. Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting or other related field is the minimum educational qualification required for this job post.
An essential requirement in most organizations in Hong Kong is that of a financial accountant. Financial accounting jobs are widely demanded. Experienced finance professionals with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field can apply for this job position. However, candidates with 3 to 5 years of experience as a bookkeeper, accountant, or other relatable experience have better chances of recruitment and growth. A financial accountant job involves providing administrative support for the Finance team. Duties include financial reporting and forecasting, managing accounts payroll, validating invoices, monitoring and managing accounts payable, processing payments, and so on. Preparing and maintaining financial records, auditing, and annual tax filing are other essential responsibilities for this role.
You may also read: 4 Questions to Ask the Interviewer After the Interview
Skills to do well in Accounting Jobs in Hong Kong
Most organizations, besides the educational qualification, look for candidates with experience and certain essential skills in accounting jobs in Hong Kong. Professional qualified accountant with CPA/ ACCA is preferred in most accounting jobs in Hong Kong.
- The candidate should be good in Maths, Finance and Calculations
- Should be able to manage data in software programs like as QuickBooks
- Should be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Windows
- Should be an expert in coding, classifying, and verifying transactions
- For young finance graduates with no experience in accounting jobs, organizations prefer those who are flexible to learn, detailed minded and are capable to multi-task with good time management
- Ability to work well in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual team environment is always a requirement to do well in accounting jobs for both locals and expats finance professionals.
- Should be able to identify, analyze, and provide correct solutions to questionable financial activity in the organization.
- Should have strong decision making skills in times of crisis so that the candidate has the ability to recognize financial implications of business decisions and strategy
- Should have strong verbal and written communications skills in English
- Candidates who know to speak, read and write Cantonese or Mandarin language have added advantages
- Candidates should display great team work so that they can work collaboratively with not only the Finance department but with other departments as well like as Sales, IT, Product to provide accuracy and efficiency.